Monday, August 14, 2023

My fellow game masters,


I’ll give you advice that has helped me write more entertaining Dungeons & Dragons adventures.  When my player characters make significant decisions, those decisions create both lasting foreseen and unforeseen consequences.  In turn, those player character created consequences create fun dramas.

For example, in David Gerrold’s book, “The World of Star Trek”, pages 234 to 235, he wrote:

“If it were a real drama, it could be described in one sentence.  The sentence begins with:  “Kirk has to decide between … “

And ends with:

“… saving the woman he loves or allowing the past to be changed.”

“… risking his ship or saving Spock’s life.”

“… being a diplomat or being a soldier.”

“These three sentences were the basis of three good STAR TREK stories.”

These decisions must be mutually exclusive and for the most part irreversible, unless powerful magic is used, such as a wish.  In a nutshell, these decisions must be more serious than what is behind door number one, door number two, or door number three.  I give bonus points to you, if you know what TV show I just made a reference to.


No comments:

Post a Comment