Friday, October 13, 2023

Making extra money for Dungeons & Dragons parties, seventh revision


“The desire of gold is not for gold.  It is for the means of freedom and benefit.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

 

In my campaign, prospecting is for low level, player characters from about first to third level.  These PCs need to make some extra money with a low level of risk.  These PCs make extra money to buy consumable items such as food, arrows, and healing potions.

 

Prospecting for gold from streams and river sediments by digging and then panning; I chose (1d6 +1) gold coins worth per day per person.  While this is a high amount of gold for one day of work; it does give my players a sense of accomplishment.  Also, that amount of gold gives them a sufficient amount of money to buy things their team needs to continue their adventures.  That is true especially when my PCs team is on their own, without the backing of a temple, wealthy merchant, or aristocrat.

 

Also, I apologize that I didn’t realize sooner that digging up the gold veins in rocks requires a skill of Hard Rock Mining.

 

Moreover, my PCs are only finding enough gold or other valuable metals to purchase consumable supplies.  They are not going to dig up every speck of gold in any given stream or river.

 

Also, they are exploring in dangerous areas that most prospectors would not search within.  It is also much safer than digging up tumulus or barrow burial mounds, and then fighting the undead.

 

Lastly, my campaign has a variant of the Detect Magic spell.  A Detect Metal spell has the same level, casting time, range, target, components, duration, and classes that can use that spell as Detect Magic.  For my player characters, Detect Metal can detect metal in traps, hidden coins, and metal ore than could be mined.  Somehow I forgot to include this in my first post.


No comments:

Post a Comment