Sunday, October 8, 2023

The time I became someone’s hero at Jamar Scout Camp!


I attended a weeklong Boy Scout adventure, while earning my merit badges and skill awards at Jamar Scout Camp.  One evening, I saw an adult woman being physically intimidated by about six, rowdy boy scouts.  That woman, not much bigger than the young boys around her, was in obvious, emotional anguish.  Next to the boys, three men who were scout leaders watched this incident without taking any action to stop that harassment.


Knowing that something even worse might happen, I stepped between the woman and the boys.  I then took her by the hand, and then we both walked about fifty feet away from the boys.  Letting go of her hand, that woman then thanked me for “saving her”.  She then got into her car, drove off, and I never saw her again.  I consider the time I became someone’s hero from those rowdy boys to be one of my best achievements.


You don’t need Thor’s Hammer, Captain America’s Shield, or Iron Man’s Armor to be a hero.  All you need is the willpower to do the right thing for someone else, without expecting a reward.


No comments:

Post a Comment