Thursday, August 8, 2019

A friend asked me to describe my Personal Moral Code.


During a talk with my friends about the thirty-one murders that happened August 3 in El Paso, Texas and August 4 in Dayton, Ohio the topic of our conservation switched to our personal moral codes.  I thought it would be interesting to write down my personal moral codes to see my beliefs in print.

I can’t sit by and watch someone being abused by bullies.  I have rescued several children and one adult woman from being bullied by thuggish boys and if the need arises before me in the future, I will do so again.

To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson, “I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the bodies and minds of all human beings.  I pledge to support for all people unalienable rights, which are both described and protected by the United States Bill of Rights and the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.”

I take care that my advocacy for human rights creates positive change in my community and growth for individuals, while resisting all forms of oppression.  Yet, as Friedrich Nietzsche wrote, “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.”  Or, as I put it, “Do not fight against bullies and tyrants who oppress other human beings so hard that you become a bully or a tyrant yourself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment